Friday 25 January 2008

" Baby it's cold outside . "

That eminent climate scientist ( or should it be failed politician ) Al Gore says that global warming is even worse than first thought " ice caps are melting , we are all going to die " , such tosh .
My son , a resident of Chicago , tells me that the daytime temperature is about 10F or 22F below freezing or -12C , with great joy he tells me that they are looking forward to unseasonably warm temperatures of about 40F . Somehow I would rather believe my son than the deluded moron that Gore has become .

Nearly 3 months ago Si married and one of the presents was a superb barbecue grill , of large size and considerable weight , I helped him put it into the lower hall of their apartment . Where is it to-day , still in the hall , does it take this post to shame him into moving it ... I hope so .

I spent 45 minutes speaking to my daughter-in-law last night , she is to be congratulated on withstanding that length of time being bored to death by this silly old sod . Still it is illuminating to see how a young couple cope with their early days of marriage given the difference in cultural backgrounds , I was astounded to note how alike but how different Yanks and Brits are . Churchill was right when he said that Britain and America were two countries separated by a common language , still after seeing for myself I believe that Yanks are OK , the only problem is that they have developed some super beers , but have kept them to themselves . Oh yes they send rubbish like Miller , Coors and Bud over here and keep Goose Island beers and Samuel Adams beers over there , if visiting , Brits must try them , you will not regret it . I cannot wait to return to try them again , and yes try the Goose Island Root Beer and the Grape Soda ; while you are at it the eggs benedict and eggs florentine should not be missed .

I suppose what I am saying is that if medical care was more affordable in the US I would leave these shores without a backward glance and let the United States of Europe go to Hell in a handcart .



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dad the temp was actually -25F, whats that in old money?

Anonymous said...

Health care is often (though not always) provided by your employer in the U.S. If it is, the costs are not much different than in Europe. If you're paying out of pocket, or need to get treatment that isn't insured, then yes, it's expensive.