Monday 3 September 2007

Home thoughts to those abroad .

Just finished on the phone to my son who now lives in Chicago , we spoke about his forthcoming wedding to a delightful American girl . He was asking for my measurements so that he can order my suit and wanted to know the shirt collar size , also discussing the colour . This brought home the thought that the normal way that we do things can be so altered when separated by 4,000 miles , I get to miss the simple pleasure of going with my son to choose these things and preparing for the Big Day . One misses helping to set up their home , running the errands and all the little things that happen around this time .
Of course , in this day and age , it is easy to telephone nearly every day with transatlantic calls be so cheap , also contact by e-mail is nearly instantaneous so that image can be sent to keep in touch . However all of this is not a substitute for being there .
My son tells me that when I go over we will do this and that together , which mostly revolve around various foods and drink that I really HAVE to try , and eating establsihments that we need to visit that I feel the eight days that I shall be there is inadequate . Oh , and I really must go to the top of the Hancock Building and see the Navy Pier . Eventually we will get to see them all but the separation means that we only get to do things in episodes when ever I visit , but roll on November !!

No comments: